Silly me, didn't read your entire post. When i replied to the other reply.

On Feb 7, 2006, at 5:09 PM, George Diamantopoulos wrote:

I tried using security = domain, which would result in an error
message about SRV entries. I thought that some SRV entries for ldap
and kerberos in bind were to blame, which had lingered around since
the time when I was experimenting with ldap/kerberos (however the
current setup makes no use of other authentication backends. I use
"passdb backend = smbpasswd guest" at present). The aforementioned
problem persists.
The "domain" setting means you try to authenticate samba logons against another domain server -- if you have an existing NT PDC for example.