>what about some vpn tunnels between you local and remote networks? (perhaps you already have this) if you're considering using samba >over the internet, it seems like site-to-site or vpn would serve you best in terms of security. that's what i do with my remote offices.

It's what we have for now, a vpn that allow distant users to have a subnetwork address and access an http server with teamwork onto. For know the File server is located on an wired insulated lan (we uses a switch Rj45) to be sure nobody can come into. now we want distant users log into the file server, with a security as secure as switching manually on this physical subnet, thats were ssl encryption play with certificates rsa keys. It's a prove a security for us.

Anthony Messina a écrit :

romain BOTTAN wrote:

thank you for your answer,
I will discuss with my team of active directory, kerberos and pkinit today.

I think you understood our problem in the main facts, we have windowsXP clients (sp2, all fixes) and linux clients (debians, ubunto and others debian like).

The main security problem is linked to the datas stored on the file server and the crossing of an open network (worldwide intranet) to connect our distant agencies.

I think we're going to put as you propose a ssl tunnel controlled by a small openvpn server or ssltunel with a good control of certificates validity. The advantage of this solution is that we have lots of clients that implements certificates much better than 802.1X API in windows implements it.

But the problem with this, as you said, samba will not deal with it, and we're going to ask for our customers to remember another login/pass...