Hi,
I'm trying to setup a samba server that will serve linux shares out to users accross the network. I'd like authentication to be done locally, and I want it to authenticate against pam using the already existing local linux user accounts. I am not authenticating domain users, or windows users, and I don't want to use smbpasswd. Is there some way to force samba to authenticate against pam, and only pam? My goal is to not add an administrative load whatsoever. Currently, I have my samba server setup, and I can access a global share okay. But anytime I try and access my user home directory from the localhost itself with the command smbclient after providing my password I get a "NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE," without a single log entry. I've read http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/pam.html which says right at the beginning that it works for winbind, which I'm not interested in. I just want to authenticate to pam, like ftp, or ssh, or anyother service authenticates to pam. My /etc/pam.d looks good, and any help is greatly appreciated, I've spent a few hours on this with no success, I've searched every which way, and I just can seem to get it figured out. Thanks in advance!

Mike.