I found it hard to believe that my config or client settings were causing the problem, since I never had any problem running samba 2. I searched google for :- 'wins_srv_is_dead' as my logs suggested that there may be a samba problem doing wins lookups.

I found a couple of posts refering to a bug in versions around 3.0.12 so I decided to update my samba to the current release 3.0.21c The problem has now dissapeared!

Thanks for your help Barry.

Kilner Vacuumation Co. Ltd. http://www.kilner-vacuum-lifting.com

Scanned for viruses by F-Prot Antivirus - http://www.f-prot.com

All information contained in this email is confidential and may
be used by the intended recipient only.