Jim,

I recently did the same thing, here is what I found:

First the message "net_auth2: creds_server_check failed" I see this when a machine changes it's sambaNTPassword, while this appears to be an error message my machines go ahead and change their password.

Your comment " one person was getting this error and I believe was able to remove the machine and then rejoin the domain" tells me the new ldap doesn't have some things that the old ldap has regarding machine accounts.

When I migrated my ldap, some machines couldn't connect even thought they had an account on the domain. Here are some of the reasons

"sambaPwdLastSet" must have a valid value (ie. 1146061069) I can't remember but all the date fields ( sambaPwdMustChange, sambaPwdCanChange) may have to have a valid value

check your old ldap machine entries against the new ldap entries
sambaSID, sambaNTPassword must match, make sure sambaAcctFlags  has a [W]

objectClass: sambaSamAccount - I have seen this discussed as something that has changed you might want to check this

You might remove and re-add a machine then look at it's ldap entry and compare with another machine account's old ldap entry.

It should work, it most probably an ldap problem.

                                                      Mike

Jim Summers wrote:
Hello List,

I am in the final throws of migrating our ldap servers. I have been running samba as a pdc and using the ldap as the backend for over a year, and all is well.

I was testing the samba pdc against the new ldap servers and got the following errors in the log file for the machine attempting to connect:

net_auth2: creds_server_check failed

and the machine (xp) will not successfully connect/bind.

- I am running samba-3.0.22
- I have changed the password stored in the secrets file to match the new ldap admin DN, but that didn't help. - All of the ldap entries were simply migrated over from the existing ldap to the new ldap.
- I can use smbclient and successfully get to a share.

I did see where one person was getting this error and I believe was able to remove the machine and then rejoin the domain. Which led me to believe that possibly a SID or some descriptor has changed when I changed the password in the secrets file for the ldap manager DN.

I also have some standalone machines that simply map a share. Will those continue to work? My guess was yes since the smbclient is working and this seems to be machine bind issue.

I only have a small window each day to test and was hoping to be close to figuring this out before my next attempt.

Any tips / suggestions?

TIA