I just upgraded to 3.0.22 (debian "testing") and have the same problem.
I could really use some help on this one!!!

Use %U.  Be watch out as this will actually become deprecated
functionality in future releases.

Just figured that out.  Thanks!

Why is this being depricated?

The variable syntax is ambiguous with client side environment
variables.    Hint:  %L ?  Or %LOGONSERVER% ?

You can leave out the values from the passdb backend and
the default values from smb.conf will still be expanded though.

I don't have any values for these coming from LDAP. It's the smb.conf settings that aren't getting the %u (lower-case "u") expanded.

                                          Brian
                                 ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )