Gary Dale wrote:
How are you adding users? You don't seem to have an add user script! Look at the sample smb.conf files in the HowTo collection or the Samba by Example - both at www.samba.org. Also, you almost certainly want to encrypt passwords.

ah, right, so i guess i need something along the lines of:

/|passdb backend = tdbsam|//|
printcap name = cups|//|
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u|/
/|delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u|//|
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g|//|
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g|//|
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -A %u %g|//|
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -R %u %g|//|
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /var/lib/nobody %u

|/why didn't I needt his previously?
/|
|/

I recommend installing SWAT if you haven't done so already and use its wizard to set your box up as a domain controller (since that seems to be how you want to use it).

rich wrote:
Hi when using samba version Version 2.0.5a (I didn't compile) I never had to explicitly set up samba users with smbpasswd -a. Since upgrading to version 3.0.22 I now have to add each user otherwise I get the following in the logs

[2006/06/15 14:20:46, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(317)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [richard] -> [richard] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

When setting up I simply copied over the old version of smb.conf that I used to use.

global]
       workgroup = GENOMICS
       server string = Genome Centre Samba Server (Mendel)
       unix password sync = Yes
       log level = 2
       #log file = /usr/local/samba/var/samba.log.%m
       log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%m
       max log size = 50
       wins support = Yes
invalid users = root bin web daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp operator nuucp lp listen nobody noaccess nobody4 david gaget anna
       create mask = 0777
       directory mask = 0777
       hosts allow = 192.168.1. localhost

[homes]
       comment = Home Directories
       path = /userdata/home/%u
       read only = No
       guest ok = Yes
       browseable = No

I've tried setting encrypt password = no but this doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Rich