Douglas D Germann Sr wrote:
<<Gary Dale <garydale <at> torfree.net> writes:
I'm wondering at this point about the difference in the handling of DNS/WINS between Win95 and WinXP. Normally, XP is the fussier of the two, but ...

With a separate switch and router, and a router normally providing DNS services, perhaps you are having a problem in that area. You can ping google, presumably from the name and not the ip address, so your DNS is likely working.

It appears your switch is working. You can ping between stations OK.

You may need WINS services running to get Win95 to connect to Samba properly. That's what I'd concentrate on.

Gary--

Thanks, especially for your reasoning through this for me.

I am wondering if my local computer hardware dealer and repair folks
might be able to test the switch and router to see if there are problems.

Yes, I did ping google from the name.

OK, I'll go look for a howto on WINS and see what that takes. Perhaps it is
just a Synaptic install.

In the meantime, does it make sense that it needs WINS if it just stopped
working one night? Now granted it has only been on this server for about 2-3 weeks.
Before that I had another server, an older red hat 9.0 box. Maybe I could try
getting that box back up and running and see if Win95 can still connect to it.

Thanks, Gary!

:- Doug.

WINS is the Windows Internet Name Service - it is similar to DNS but different enough to cause problems. Samba handles WINS differently, so searching for WINS won't work. And I don't have anything old enough to test from here. However, you could look at winbind or nsswitch configuration. Possibly it's just a matter of starting winbind...