Rob Watkin wrote:
Hi Robert

I will post the latest version smb.conf file below. I have followed the
instructions in http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-
Collection/FastStart.html section "Domain Controller" for the most part.

I have one server (TAU) and one Windows XP client (vm-201). I can get
vm-201 to join my BC workgroup but not the domain. I am rebooting the XP
machine and restarting samba on TAU between experiments.

I have just noticed the following error in the log file which I think is
at the bottom of all this! When I try to get the XP box to join the BC
domain it asks for a username and password, I give tom ****** and then
Windows says
"Computer Name Changes" The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "BC":
   The user name could not be found.
       <OK>

log.smbd
[2006/09/01 14:39:42, 3] smbd/sec_ctx.c:pop_sec_ctx(386)
  pop_sec_ctx (1001, 100) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
useradd: unable to lock password file
[2006/09/01 14:39:42, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user
(2415)
  _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/useradd -
s /bin/false/ -d /var/lib/nobody vm-201$' gave 1

It seems that the machine could not be created when trying to join the domain.

Did you try to create the machine account manually? I mean, typing directly in the shell the corresponding commands.

Good luck.

--
Miguel Da Silva.
Servicio de Informatica.