On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:34:04AM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:

>       The correct option is "start_tls", but it is the default
> option, you don't need to setup this. And the key server is not
> related with Samba, this option just tells samba to use SSL when
> talking with the LDAP server.

I have winbind working nicely with AD here. It took a while to figure out
but now AD user accounts can ssh into my Linux boxen reliably, which is really
all
I needed; just ssh access. But I want to make sure all the LDAP traffic is
secured via TLS/SSL.

On my network if I run nmap on the Win2K AD server I see that port 636 is open.
So I generated a cert file on the Win2K server and converted it to a PEM
file (using openssl on Linux) and placed it in /etc/openldap/cacerts and made
sure
it was world readable. My ldap.conf file looks like this:

#-----------------------------------------------------------
BASE    dc=cinteractive, dc=com
URI     ldaps://attu.binteractive.com:636
debug 256
logdir /var/log/ldap.errors
host BATTU
base BINTERACTIVE.COM
ssl yes
TLS_CACERT /etc/openldap/cacerts/battu.pem
pam_password md5

The ldap log file I set up is empty. Nothing ever gets written to it.

Every time I su to root on the Linux servers I see:

TLS certificate verification: Error, unable to get local issuer certificate
TLS: can't connect.

I'm not looking to run slapd on this server. LDAP and winbind are used only
to allow users to login via ssh with their AD credentials.