Thought you might find this worth reading since it is on topic to this thread:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/maxtor-diamondmax-11/index.x?pg=6

Mark Smith wrote:
Mark Smith wrote:
Actually, setting SNDBUF and RCVBUF to 65536 from the default of 8192 is what got me _TO_ 22MBps...

...Ya know, I once tried increasing SNDBUF and RCVBUF to 256k but didn't see any difference. I've also tried setting the kernel parameters to 256k, but never both at the same time. Let me try that and see if it helps.

Nope.   Just tried.  Same as always, about 22MBps.

-Mark