Have a look at this:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/simple.html

Samantha Bandara wrote:
Dear I am very beginners for samba. I want to install samba on Debian. I want maintain file server. We have 50 PCs that are running on WinXP I want connect these PCs to PC it run on Debian . Over IP Range is 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

What are the main step to install samba on debian .
DNS server is must or not?
Can you help me thanks
                                         herath