Stupid question ahead

background:
Our office is moving, and we are currently using a samba server with an aging nt4 pdc. The NT4 will not be a part of the new network, either we replace it or promote the samba (3.0.21c AFAIK) to pdc.

To me the obvious choice is to install ldap and promote the samba server to pdc, but...

(OK, here it comes...)

It is a bit tempting to replace the nt4 pdc with a samba4 server that only deals with ads (i.e. passwd server = ...)

I will have a few weeks for experiments...

Other than samba4 being new, hot and cool I suspect that there will be more and more win apps more or less requiring ads over time, and this would be a good time to make the move...

Is this (the latter, using samba4) overly stupid?