Hello!

I tried to run a samba3 server as pdc for windowsXP clients with ldap backend and kerberos authentication.

I stuck with these two possibilities:

1. Samba is pdc, winxp is domain-member, users are autheticated against smbpasswords within ldapsam. If the kerberos password of the korresponding principal has the same password, the users get a ticket from the kdc after windows logon.
But I have two password databases: ldapsam and kerberos

2. Windows XP authenticates directly against the kdc. But Windows is then NOT member of a samba-domain, it is in a workgroup named after the kerberos-realm. So I have local organized users, no netlogon features, no roaming profiles...

The only hack to get a real domain with pdc and members and just one password database that I know abaut, is the ability to sync samba passwords with linux passwords. Syncing the linux passwords in my scenario means syncing the kerberos passwords...

Now my question:
Can anyone tell, if I'm right with my config so far, or could it be done better? Can anyone provide me a passwd chat that enables me to sync the linux/kerberos passwords?

I tried the normal passwd chat and tried to edit it, but I always run into problems. I think it's because with kerberos I have to provide the old password first, before I'm asked for the new one.

This are the tested passwd chats:

  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
; passwd chat = *Password:* %o\n *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* . passwd chat = *Password:* %o\n *"Enter new password:"* %n\n *"Enter it again:"* %n\n *"passwd: password updated successfully"* .
 pam password change = yes

Greetz, Torsten