This is a problem I've been experiencing lately after an upgrade from Samba 2.2.8 to Samba 3.0.23d.

The problem seems to have to do with either the user's profile or the ntuser files in the profile.

Normally what happens when a user logs in is that either the desktop.ini file's contents are displayed, or the user's program menu appears just like you had hit the Start button.

What happens now is that when the user logs in, only a portion of the programs menu appears. The icons that appear normally on the left-hand side aren't there. The user's name still appears at the top.

When this does happen, when running a Powerpoint slide, then the user is asked several times to input their name and initial, and then finally the program shuts down and asks if you want to send an error report.

The only way I've been able to restore the use of Powerpoint is to remove the user's profile on the machine, remove the one on the server, and then have them login again.

After doing this, and running diff on the directories, the only real differences were the ntuser.dat files were not the same, and the log files were different.

Also, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this, there is an annoying .tmp file that keeps showing up. It's dated Feb 1, but I don't know if it was because of a partial load or something like that.

Also, in the damaged profile, the size of ntuser.dat is only 262144, whereas in the correct profile, the size is 786432.

Has anyone experienced anything like this.

Is there any suggestion about what I can do to diagnose the problem?

Thanks.