Hello All,

Samba is posting the following error messages repeatedly during user authentication:

Feb 20 09:35:50 SUMSRVR smbd[27950]: [2007/02/20 09:35:50, 0] rpc_server/srv_util.c:get_alias_user_groups(206) Feb 20 09:35:50 SUMSRVR smbd[27950]: get_alias_user_groups: gid of user xxx doesn't exist. Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files

It does not appear to be causing any problems, just hitting my log files fairly often.

I can cause it to cease by mapping the user's private group to a domain group:
        # net groupmap add unixgroup=xxx ntgroup=xxx
However, once a user's private group is mapped to a domain group of the same name, any attempts to edit the user in User Manager for Domains results in the error message "The following error occurred changing the properties of user xxx: The group name could not be found."

I can avoid that error message by mapping all users' private groups to domain groups that share a name:
        # net groupmap add unixgroup=xxx ntgroup=privategroup
        # net groupmap add unixgroup=yyy ntgroup=privategroup
        # net groupmap add unixgroup=zzz ntgroup=privategroup
This has the unfortunate side effect of making the "delete group script" in smb.conf extremely painful, as I must delete group mappings using the sid instead of the group name.

Additionally, I can avoid the error message by mapping users' private groups to domain groups with similar names:
        # net groupmap add unixgroup=xxx ntgroup=zxxx
The only side effect of this method appears to be populating the group display of User Manager for Domains with useless groups.

Specificatations:
(Red Hat EL 4) uname -a: 2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Jan 23 13:01:26 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
(Samba)         smbd -V: Version 3.0.10-1.4E.11

smb.conf (sanitized)
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = SUMSVR_DOMAIN
        server string = Samba Server for SUMSVR
        interfaces = a.b.c.d
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        private dir = /etc/samba
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        deadtime = 15
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        logon path =
        logon script = scripts\%U.vbs
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 60
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        smb ports = 139
        strict locking = no
        lock spin time = 15
        lock spin count = 30
        veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/*.xls/*.XLS/*eudora*/
        write cache size = 262144
        passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n*new*password* %n\n *changed*
        check password script = /usr/bin/crackcheck -c -d /usr/lib/cracklib_dict

Any ideas?  Any help would be appreciated.

--
Best regards,

L. Fred Nuffer
Support Systems Analyst, Senior