Well, I give. I've looked at the level 10 debugs and cannot figure out the problem. I guess I'll submit a bug report to the SAMBA team.

I have not yet. I'm currently hammering my test environment to better
isolate the problem.

As it turns out, the problem does not occur when using tdbsam backend.
Weird, huh? I'm loading up an OpenLDAP environment now so that I can
start testing and further narrow the problem.

If I get it figured out, I'll post so everyone will know.

Have you tried a test with the lmhosts file anyway? P.