Forrest,

First you will need a [print$] share (which is where the drivers reside) as described here: http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id358044
/var/spool/samba is for the print jobs, not the drivers.
Move "printing = cups" to global.  Add to global "printcap name = cups".
There are other options that you may want to set like "load printers" or "use client driver"

For installation, perhaps this is what you need:
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#inst-rpc
It is quite involved. I hope I never have to use it. All our printers have Windows inf files for the "add printer wizard", or ppd files for CUPS.

If this doesn't work, consider foomatic/HPLIP packages.
Your printer is supported here: http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/inkjet_aio.html Setting up printing through Samba can be quite daunting/frustrating the 1st time.

Dale

Forrest D wrote:
I'm trying to share my HP 5610 on my Samba (3.0.24-1 fc6 x86_64) machine and
am running into a typical HP related SANFU.  The XP drivers supplied only
install through the installation program. (ie. I can't use device manager to point XP to the driver and install it) So I installed the printer on my
XP machine, used the installation program to install the drivers and then
shared the printer out and copied the folders and files in the print$ share to my samba machine /var/spool/samba/ (rwxrwxrwt) . I then restarted samba and when I connect to the printer on my XP machine it still asks me for the driver. I read somewhere that you have to force samba to recognize drivers installed this way and think this is what I have to do, but I can't figure
out how to do it.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Here is my smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup = MOYA
   realm = MOYA.FARSCAPE.LOCAL