On 06/03/2007 14:46, simo wrote:

Ahh, then you should have no problems, we don't save uids/gids in
tdbsam, just the username.

That sounds great.
So, the UIDs in pdbedit's output are not read from the Samba database, but taken instead at runtime from /etc/passwd?

I mean, quoting the pdbedit manpage:

-L This option lists all the user accounts present in the users database. This option prints a list of user/uid pairs separated by the ':' character.

          Example: pdbedit -L

          sorce:500:Simo Sorce
          samba:45:Test User

-v This option enables the verbose listing format. It causes pdbedit to list the users in the database, printing out the account fields in a descriptive format.

          Example: pdbedit -L -v

          ---------------
          username:       sorce
          user ID/Group:  500/500
          user RID/GRID:  2000/2001
          Full Name:      Simo Sorce

(Actually, with the current pdbedit I don't see any UIDs with -Lv, I only see SIDs; but I still see the Linux UIDs when only using the -L option)

Unfortunately we do save the gid in the group mapping database, so you
must be carefull with mapped groups, but at most you will have to delete
and redo the mapping.

No problem here, I have almost no group mappings at all.

Better to do it wtih samba stopped imo.

Of course.

This would wipe out all of my doubts, but I don't expect it to be SO easy... is it?

Why not? :-)

Because sh*t happens ;).

--
Ciao,