My question is this: How do I set up the OpenSUSE clients to
have the same behavior as the Windows XP clients. They need to
store their profiles both locally on the client and on the
server in the existing users home directory. Authentication
for the existing PDC is smbpasswd.
        My first idea would be: NFS. If it is not possible, you
should try pam_mount, you would be able to mount the home once
the logon happens and that should solve the problem.

        The real problem will come up if you need to have a HOT
copy of local $HOME and $SERVERHOME, that could be tricky to
implement and you would probably need to use a distributed file
system, but I'm not really sure what would be the best solution
in that case.
Here's my plan: I'll share the home directories on the server
with NFS, mount the respective home directory on the client
computer in a directory OTHER than home. Then create a shell
script that would sync the local home directory (hidden files
and all) on the client with the respective home directory on
the server during log out.

Yes this would work, if you wanted to use something like rsync you could achieve the same thing much more efficiently and without any mounting. Regardless of how you do the sync'ing you are going to have a few hurdles to get over (What happens if a user logs into multiple machines simultaneously?).

Why do you need a copy of the profile locally? It would greatly simplify things if you just put /home on nfs.

-- Michael Heydon