Michael Heydon ha scritto:

In the past months I had similar locking problems: outlook running on a client PC, outlook.pst file stored on a (private) network share. The client PC would sometimes hang, and the user would then reboot the PC. After the reboot, Outlook complained that the outlook.pst file could not be opened because it was already locked by someone else (in fact it was the "old" smbd process of that same user that didn't notice the client did reboot). The solution was always to manually kill (-TERM) the "hanging" smbd process. The situation got a bit better when I disabled oplocks entirely, but I still get that error sometimes (yes, we *almost* fixed the PC hardware issues :-).

Just as a note, MS don't recommend storing PST files on a network and from personal experience I tend to agree. Some times it's the lesser of

The company I work for has had pst files on a network share for many years now (on a win2k server and, since about 1 year, that is since I came, on a gentoo/samba server). I still haven't seen any problems (a part from the mentioned pc freezing issues), but our network and servers have a very low load...

two evils but in the long term you might want to think about a different solution.

I've been thinking about implementing an imap server for some time now... I hope I'll have time to get rid of "personal stored" e-mail as soon as possibile...

Did you have some PC-freeze problems that the "reset on zero vc" config parameter solved ?
We didn't have problems with freezing, we had problems with the network. It had the same effect, the client disconnected, the server thought it was still there.

Did the use of this parameter have some drawbacks ?
It hasn't caused any problems that I'm aware of and it has reduced the number of support calls, but I wouldn't consider it an alternative to fixing the root of the problem.

I believe it does cause problems if you have multiple connections coming into the server from behind a NAT connection and it may also play up if you have a terminal server.

We don't have neither of the two, so I guess I'll be safe :-)

Overall I think it is a neat option and in most simple networks it is worth having, just be wary that it may hide problems that will bite you down the track.

-- Michael Heydon

Thank you for your reply. It was helpful.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT