> Was it complaining that they are read only or that after saving a file
> that existed it word claimed that it could not save the file? I am
> asking as after I upgraded from samba-3.0.22 to samba-3.0.23 on gentoo
> I had these symptoms and the fix was very easy.

Do you have a hint / link for the fix?

It  was an old problem at least on the samba list although for some
reason we have not seen it until the upgrade. The problem is office
when it saves a file it deletes the current file saves a new temp file
than renames the temp file to the old file name. In this case windows
assigns the same permissions for a file in the same folder with the
same name of one that was recently deleted. The problem here is linux
has no such built in magic so the operation fails.

Here is a bit of my smb.conf file with the fixes. The key is the masks:

[Profiles]
   path = /home/%U/%U.pds
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
[Public]
  comment = Public Stuff
  path = /mnt/vg/public