Roots schrieb:
Client OS: Windows XP SP2, Samba 3.0.24-3.fc6.

Tested from another client: Yes i have more than one computer that both have the same problems.

Updated NIC Drivers: I have checked for updated drivers for clients but have found non. I im unsure what driver version is built into the kernel on the server the NIC is e1000 (82545GM). So No.

Corrupt Packets: I had some problems with this but replaced some cables these problems have gone away but samba problems continue.

Replaced Hardware: Nope, I have no problems with file swapping between XP clients.

so at least please try to connect your server to a diffrent port of your switch, i have seen single ports of switches die.

Updated Switch Firmware: My switch is unmanaged (Netgear GS116).

Booting from a live CD: I booted from knoppix and dint appear to have any problems. However as its an intermittent problem i cant be sure.

UNC or Mapped drive: I'm using mapped drives.

Make sure server is master browsers: Yes it is.

The Problem: I find the problem main occurs when i try to swap file between network drivers on the server from the. Or when dumping files on the server, or when saving files to the server from firefox. I don't find the file size makes any difference.

Tom, in answer to your question im having trouble testing if your fix works for me as i'm not seeing the problem at the moment all though I'm sure it will return.

Ive included a copy of my config, the errors in a text file and a ethereal cap of my network during one of the errors. If someone with a better understand of network protocols than me was to take a look at it take the trouble to look at the cap im sure they would be able to figure out whats going on. All the files are in this rar: http://timo.bulldoghome.com/pages/timo_bulldoghome_com/samba.rar

ok, i have a few questions/comments about your smb.conf:
first: keep it as simple as possible, don't set options you do not need to change from the default.

[global]
        getwd cache = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_RCVBUF=65536
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

i guess you have a recent kernel (2.6.xx), so get rid of these SO_SNDBUF/SO_RCBUFF options. There has been a discussion on these options on the list a few Weeks ago, and the conclusion was that they are bad more or less withe recent kernels.

        use sendfile = no
why do you disable sendfile here, if you later on enable it for most of your shares?

        lock spin time = 15
        lock spin count = 30

"lock spin count" is non-functional with your samba-version, and
"lock spin time" has a default of 200 microseconds, why do you reduce it to 15 microseconds?

        map to guest = bad user
        log level = 1
        security = user
        os level = 64
        local master = Yes
        time server = Yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        wins support = yes
        domain logons = yes
        dos filetimes = Yes
        workgroup = Family
        netbios name = Ghost
        server string = Samba Server %v
        printcap name = cups
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printer admin = root @adm @is
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        ;hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24 127.0.0.1
        interfaces = eth1 lo
        bind interfaces only = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u

        wins proxy = yes

you do not need "wins-proxy" with modern clients (w2k and newer)

        dns proxy = no
        logon path =
        logon drive = U:
        logon script = %U.bat
        oplocks = no
        level2 oplocks = no

why do you disable oplocks here, if you later on enable it for most of your shares?

        change notify timeout = 300
        lpq cache time = 30

        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
you don't want winbind-stuff at all, as you are the domain-controler.
please remove these options. (and don't start winbind, you only need it if you are not the PDC of the domain your authenticating agains)

        oplocks = no
        level2 oplocks = no

Huh, why disable oplocks again?!?

;       deadtime = 60
        wins proxy = yes
        lpq cache time = 30
        change notify timeout = 300
        getwd cache = yes
        dos filetimes = yes
        domain logons = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        unix password sync = Yes
        pam password change = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Re*ype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n \
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false '%u'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel '%s'
        add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a '%u' '%g'
        delete user from group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -d '%u' '%g'
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g && getent group '%g'|awk -F: '{print $3}'
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
        smb ports = 445

Tim Otten
Christoph