The user's profile is usually stored locally. If you log on as the same user, you should get the same profile. The only time this wouldn't happen was if Windows thought you were logging on a new user. It would do this if your new server didn't have the same user database.

In other words, it's not sufficient to set up a new Samba server. You also need to migrate the user account information. Since you are currently using LDAP, that should be simple. Simply point your new Samba server to use the same LDAP database that the current Samba server uses.

If you want to migrate to a different datastore (not use LDAP), do that in a separate step. However, most people seem to prefer using LDAP. Once you've got it working with Samba, why would you want to switch?

Peter Matulis wrote:
I have inherited a Samba server and would like to migrate the
installation to a new machine.  We are using Samba as a PDC and my
currrent worry is what users will see on their desktop (as well as
other changes?) once they log on to the new server.

As a test I have logged on with my laptop (running WinXP virtually) and
I get a completely blank desktop (with the exception of the trash can).
 Will users lose anything?  I am unclear on this.

The current/old samba config is posted below.  It is using LDAP but the
new config will not.  Thank you very much.

Peter

[global]
   workgroup = exampledomain
netbios name = examplehost server string = Samba Server %v

   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printer admin = @"Domain Admins"

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   map to guest = bad user
   security = user

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   obey pam restrictions = yes

   bind interfaces only = yes
   interfaces = 10.9.2.6

os level = 32
domain master = yes preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes
logon path =

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.9.2.2 smbpasswd guest
ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=exampledomain,dc=com
ldap suffix = dc=exampledomain,dc=com ldap machine suffix = ou=Hosts
ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap group suffix = ou=Group
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap

wins support = yes