I upgraded a server from Debian Sarge to Etch the other day. Today I discovered a fairly major issue... All the shares I had set up for guest access have stopped working. The shares are meant to be writable by me and a few others, and read only for guest, but it's flat out refusing to authenticate anyone using guest (or unknown users which should be mapping to guest).
SMB.conf is below (with a pile of unrelated shares stripped out for space).

[global]
  workgroup = wwhs
  server string = WWHS Main Data Server
  dns proxy = no
  map to guest = Bad User
  guest account = nobody
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  log level = 2
  max log size = 1000
  syslog = 0
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = true
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
  ldap suffix = dc=wwhs
  ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
  ldap user suffix = ou=users
  ldap group suffix = ou=groups
  ldap admin dn = "cn=admin,dc=wwhs"
  ldap delete dn = no
  obey pam restrictions = yes
  ldap password sync = yes
  pam password change = yes
  add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
  printing = cups
  printcap name = cups
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  domain master = yes
  prefered master = yes
  domain logons = yes
  logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
  logon script = %G.bat
# The next line includes homes based on groups. Some groups need different options.
include = /etc/samba/homes-%G.conf
[netlogon]
  comment = Network Logon Service
  path = /samba/netlogon
  writable = yes
  share modes = no
  write list = @it-admin, root
  guest ok = no
[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  browseable = no
  path = /tmp
  printable = yes
  public = yes
  writable = no
  create mode = 0700
  guest ok = no
[print$]
  comment = Printer Drivers
  path = /samba/print$
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = no
  writable = yes
  write list = root, @it-admin
[profiles]
  comment = Account Profile Data
  path = /samba/profiles
  browsable = no
  read only = no
  guest ok = no
  create mode = 0750
hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/nethood/target.lnk/prf???.tmp/prf??.tmp/
[unattended]
   comment = Files for scripted Windows reinstalls
   path = /samba/unattended
   browsable = no
   writeable = yes
   write list = @it-admin