Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply.  A couple a questions inline:

On 5/31/07, Adam Tauno Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is a Windows issue, not a Samba issue.

All the information I've been able to find references windows tools - the
part I'm missing is where the windows tools stop and Samba takes over.  I
hope you don't mind me clarifying a couple of things below.

> Is there a simple howto that I've missed on this?  Thanks in advance for
any
> tips.

Yes, the Windows documentation.  O'Reilly has a title: "Windows NT User
Administration"  you need a book like that.  Most of the HOWTOs and what
not on the Internet are confusing garbage, or at best only half
complete,  my advise is to skip them entirely.

Thanks for the tip - I think half my problem is I'm not exactly sure what
I'm looking for.  I have Samba happily running as a Domain Controller and
have the computers on the network in the domain.  However, I don't have any
windows servers, and hence don't have a Windows Active Directory on my
network.  All my searching for information regarding policies and so on
aren't turning up much because they all seem to refer to AD.  Can I ask if
you (or anyone else) know if what I'm trying to do is possible using Samba
on its own (and the GPO approach)?  I'm assuming that I need to learn and
understand firstly how to create my policy (thanks for the help on this) and
how to distribute it.  I'm hoping that the distribution is simply a matter
of putting the appropriate file on a Samba share (once I know which share it
is).

Re the book, thanks - I've ordred a copy on amazon, unfortunately its not
available on Safari.

The *OFFICIAL* Samba documentation does cover this to some extend,
beyond that get a book.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/PolicyMgmt.html

I had read that, and thought I was doing the right thing (although missing
the link between POL and ADM files).  Not sure how I'm going to get my hands
on poledit.exe which I figure is my next step.

Thanks again for your help.

cheers,
dim