Here's a how-to I wrote for Samba 3.0.22 on Ubuntu 6.06/6.10 from which you might draw inspiration and compare settings to see if there's something you're missing. I need to update for 3.0.24. There are some things different now.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba#head-09cdfc4509f08e6891f5f5a750b28a32218c592e

Hope that helps.

Aaron Kincer

Michael Cleghorn wrote:
Hello list,

i'm going to try very hard not to rant here, but i've been trying to get Samba
working for 3 days, and it's just not happening.  Let me start from the
beginning.  i'm just a lowly Windows admin but i've been doing this for 10
years, so i'm pretty sure i know what i'm doing (present situation excepted,
clearly).  i've got RedHat AS4 and a primarily Windows 2000 domain.  i want to
be able to transparently browse to the shares on the RH server from a Windows
client without having to authenticate again, which is exactly what the AD
integrated authentication is for, right?

If i do "wbinfo -u" i get a list of AD objects, but without the AD domain name prepended which is my first clue that
something isn't right.  If i do "wbinfo -a username%password" both plaintext and challenge response authentication
work.  If i do "getent passwd" i get only local usernames.  Same for "getent group" except i get local
groups, obviously.  From everything i've read in the man pages and god only know how many online troubleshooting and/or help
docs, this just doesn't happen.  Everything that mentions using wbinfo and getent for testing just says "and you can try
this and oh, look it works".  i'm paraphrasing slightly.

i have joined the RH server to the domain.  i can get a Kerberos ticket issued
if i want one.  i have been through smb.conf, nsswitch.conf and /etc/pam.d so
often, i no longer remember what my originals looked like.  i'm happy to post
excerpts from any or all of these of they will help (i'm not going to do it now
in case 1 - it's an easy fix, in which case i'm not sure if i'll laugh or cry
and 2 - to keep things relatively short).  The logs have been less than ideally
helpful since i already know that authentication isn't working... somewhere.

Can someone help?  Please?

m.

Michael Cleghorn
System & Network Administrator

Risk Management Technologies
5 Ventnor Avenue
West Perth  WA  6005
AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61 8 9322 1711
Fax: +61 8 9322 1794

Web: www.rmt.com.au

Please Note: The contents of this e-mail transmission are intended solely for
the named recipients and may be confidential, privileged, or otherwise
protected from disclosure in the public interest. The use, reproduction,
disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission by any
person other than the named recipients is expressly prohibited. If you are not
a named recipient please notify the sender immediately.