Could it be the disk?
Can you do a:
hdparm -t /dev/sda

Then benchmark your XP disk with www.hdtune.com

HTH
Oliver

Arno Schäfer wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to migrate my files from a Windows XP Pro box to a new server running OpenSuSE 10.2/Linux 2.6.18 (x86_64) and Samba 3.0.25b.

The Server is a new Athlon 64 X2 4000+/1GB with two 400GB SATA disks in a software RAID1 configuration. The share file system is reiserfs on a 350GB RAID1 partition.

I have a small LAN with three PCs on 100MBit Ethernet and a Laptop on WLAN on a 4 Port Switch/WLAN/DSL router.

I am experiencing extremely (an I really mean EXTREMELY) bad performance. It is so bad that it can not have anything to do with performance "tuning", it must be a configuration error somewhere.

Doing some comparisons, I find that

- copying a 700MB file from the CIFS share of the Windows XP box to a different Windows PC starts immediately and takes about two minutes.

- copying the same file via HTTP from the new Samba server takes a little more than one minute (10.5 MB/sec).

- copying the file from the Samba share varies hugely. It can take between 90 seconds and literally hours (!).

- sometimes it goes faster, but almost always the startup time is between 20 and 90 seconds, that is the time before the copying even begins.

- I have found repeatedly that when I am copying a file from the Samba share, and it goes extremely slow (estimated time 90 minutes), and I start copying a second file (from the same or a different PC), suddenly the copying speeds up to "normal" speed.

ifconfig does not show any collisions or errors, and as I said, copying via HTTP is extremely fast.

The Linux installation is as barebones as I could make it, no X11, no firewall (for now), no ZENWorks or AppArmor or anything. I already once reinstalled everything from scratch, to no avail.

Any ideas would be immensely appreciated, as I am seriously considering going back to Windows XP ;-)

Best Regards,

Arno

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = MSHEIMNETZ
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        map to guest = Bad User
        include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        logon drive = P:
        usershare allow guests = Yes
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
        domain logons = No
        domain master = No
        security = share
        netbios name = FILESERVER2