Elvar wrote:
My problem is that I need to figure out how to have each user's home folder on the Ubuntu boxes map to the users home folder on the windows 2003 server. The share location of their home folders on the windows 2003 server is something like \\servername\docs$\students\%username%. I'm not even sure if I can map to a hidden share "$" in samba and also specify the %username% variable.
The simplest solution would be to simply mount \\servername\docs$ or possibly \\servername\docs$\students\ (From memory, you can't mount a directory under linux, only a share). You could then setup symlinks or change the home directory for the users. This would be much simpler than having a seperate mount for every user.

If you really want to do it your way, it may be possible using a mixture of sudo, backticks (`) and the whoami command. I really don't see any benefit though.

-- Michael