Greetings,

I have a client running samba-3.0.24 with mostly Windows-XP clients.
They can print to some printers (those with drivers provided by Microsoft)
without problem.

They can also print to printers with vendor supplied printer drivers
but they end up waiting up to 30 seconds just to select the printer.
There is a similar wait when adding the printer to the list of printers
the XP client knows about.

This does not appear to be the much discussed registry problem, as
we have repeatedly removed these registry entries and, though they come
back, there is no performance improvement.  Also, when people have
described the registry problem they have not said that it was driver
dependent.  Furthermore, as I understand the registry problem, it occurs
when there are non-existant printers listed ... which there are not in
our case.

There is no firewall between the client and the server except that which
Microsoft provides, and we still have the problem with that completely
disabled.

Here is my smb.conf:

    [global]
            workgroup = FUZZBALL
            netbios name = fzb3
            netbios aliases = fzb3
            server string =  fzb3
            bind interfaces only = true
            interfaces = eth0
            null passwords = Yes
            security = SHARE
            guest account = guest
            lanman auth = No
            client lanman auth = No
            client plaintext auth = No
            socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
            local master = yes
            prefered master = yes
            log level = 3
            log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
            name resolve order = wins bcast host
            deadtime = 1
            printcap cache time = 750
            printcap name = /etc/printcap
            domain logons = No
            #domain logons = yes
            wins support = yes
            local master = No
            dns proxy = No
            wins server = 10.1.1.1
            ldap ssl = no
            path = /var/tmp/samba%S
            admin users = root, guest
            printer admin = root, guest
            guest ok = Yes
            guest only = Yes
            hosts allow = 10.1.0.0/10  127.0.0.1
            hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
            printable = Yes
            printing = lprng
            print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Fl -r -P%p %s
            lpq command = /bin/true
            lprm command = /bin/true
            lppause command = /bin/true
            lpresume command = /bin/true
            queuepause command = /bin/true
            queueresume command = /bin/true
            use client driver = Yes
            show add printer wizard = no
            disable spoolss = yes
            max log size = 0

    [printers]

    [cr1000]
            print command = lpr -Fl -r -P%p %s
            comment = HPX,  Cole  0, C205
            printer = cr1000
            printable = yes
            browseable = yes
            guest ok = Yes
            guest only = Yes
            public = yes
            writable = no
            path = /var/spool/samba/cr1000

Does anybody have any ideas here?  The packet traces and samba log files
indicate that the PC is sending many transactions which are failing
but I am inexpert at decoding exactly what is wrong with them.  I can
include log files, but I am wondering if anyone knows of anything off the
top of their head?

All my web searches to date have revealed the registry issue but nothing
beyond that.

Thanks!  --Chris