Dale Schroeder wrote:
Michael / Dave,

Since the two of you are having similar problems, I thought I would respond to both at the same time. I cannot tell from your messages if your Samba/CUPS setup is similar to mine or not.

I don't think the problems are quite the same (the printers that remain on my system still have fully functional drivers). Although I guess damage to the printers database could be responsible in both cases.

I started experiencing this problem on Debian lenny systems at either 3.0.26a or 3.0.27. It has continued to 3.0.28. In my case, it only affected systems in which I had compiled CUPS from the sources at cups.org. On the systems where both packages came from Debian, I have experienced no problems. On the affected systems, no amount of restarting samba and CUPS would fix the problem. To bring them back I had to reboot the system; and in some cases, there was a lag time after the reboot before the printers reappeared. I do not have an explanation; maybe someone else can offer one.

My cups and the new samba package were all official slackware releases (in most cases slackware packages are extremely close to the official releases, customisations are kept to a minimum), my old samba .24 package was from source. I don't believe the custom package had any printer related tweaks (is it possible to find the configure options used to generate a binary?).

I haven't been able to reboot the system, I will give it a try on Friday and see what happens.

Good luck Dave :)

Thanks
Dale

Michael Heydon wrote: