did you name it NTConfig.POL and put it in /samba/netlogon

and only 2000-Vista clients will load that. for win 95/98 clients I think it needs to be called Config.POL.

Tim Bates wrote:
At one site I support, I have just recently put a policy file on their
server to try and make some stuff easier to manage. Only problem is
Windows is not even trying to load it. I watched the traffic in
Wireshark, and there's no request for the ntconfig.pol file at all. And
of course nothing from it is being applied.
I had read that this can happen if someone has set the policy refresh
settings to never refresh (or manually or whatever it is), but I have
checked this and tried with a newly installed Windows machine, and it
still doesn't work.

Is there some special setting I am missing? What is the bare minimum for
ntconfig.pol to apply? What should the netlogon share definition look like?

Global config options that seem relevent are:
[global]
  workgroup = CRDC
  domain master = yes
  prefered master = yes
  domain logons = yes
  logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
  logon script = logon.bat
  dns proxy = no
  name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
  security = user
  guest account = nobody
  encrypt passwords = true
  passdb backend = tdbsam
  obey pam restrictions = yes
  unix password sync = yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
  pam password change = yes
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY

The share definition looks like this: