Hello,

I'm trying to get a samba4 server to show up while "network browsing" on a Vista client, but with no success. I've scoured the web and tried many things, but most documentation is for samba3. I can however mount the samba4 share using it's UNC path, but I really want netbios name resolution to work.

With samba 3.0.28, as soon as I start smbd and nmbd, I can view my samba server through Network Browsing.

Does Samba4 support name resolution?
-If so, how would one configure samba4 to do so?
-If not, what I really want is SMB2 support. How much effort would it take to backport smb2 to samba 3.2? Would the best approach be to incorporate the smb_server/smb2 code into samba3/smbd code, or to completely replace the samba3/smbd code with the samba4/smbd and samba4/smb_server code?

I'm not really sure what else to try so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

Here is my setup
----------------------

I checked out Samba_4_0 build 26646. I'm using parallels with vista as one virtual machine and ubuntu 7.04 as another virtual machine. Both are on the same subnet. The workgroup name on the vista box is WORKGROUP.

From looking at ethereal output on the vista box, it looks like samba4 isn't broadcasting itself as a server, so the vista client isn't seen the samba, if that makes any sense.

samb3 smb.conf configuration file:
[globals]
   netbios name    = TIM-DESKTOP
   workgroup   = WORKGROUP
   security = share
   domain master = yes
   wins support = yes
   public = yes
   browseable = yes

[public]
   path = /home/tim/public
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   read only = no

samba4 smb.conf:
[globals]
   netbios name    = TIM-DESKTOP
   workgroup   = WORKGROUP
   realm       = WORKGROUP
   server role     = domain controller
   security = share
   server max protocol = smb2
   wins support = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper samr lsarpc netlogon rpcecho
   lanman auth=yes
   use spnego = yes
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
   browseable = yes
   auto services = yes

[netlogon]
   path = /root/svnsamba/var/locks/sysvol/workgroup/scripts
   read only = no

[sysvol]
   path = /root/svnsamba/var/locks/sysvol
   read only = no

[public]
   path = /home/tim/public
   browseable = yes
   read only = no

the provsioning step
$./setup/provision --realm=WORKGROUP --adminpass=wyo123 -- domain=WORKGROUP --server-role='domain controller'