Res wrote:
Hi Brad,

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Scott Lovenberg wrote:

I'm using FC6 and the servers have all been upgraded from FC2 and FC4. The upgrade was completed before I took them over so I don't know what samba version
 was in use with those versions of Fedora.

Using Fedora as a server is dangerous at the best of times, even now Fedora dont support FC6, and will soon enough not even support FC7, I suggest, if you can, upgrade the entire OS, to, I'd recommend Slackware 12, security updates are available for more than 5 years, and as Slackware is well known for not modifying packages it has far far far less problems then the stuff that RH/Debian and so on release.

But, if upgrading OS is not an option (it really needs to be) I'd really not use any RPM for it either, what you can do, is grab the 3.0.28 source and compile it, if you use the following in your 'configure' its close to what RH use (extracted from a source.rpm)

./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba --with-fhs --with-quotas --with-smbmount --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass --with-syslog --with-utmp --with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat --with-shared-modules=idmap_rid --with-libsmbclient --with-sendfile-support --with-acl-support --with-winbind

If you move to Slackware and want to configure your own, just remove the two pam options.

The idea was to standardise on a particular version to simplify maintenance and it
seems to have caused more problems than it cured.

It can :)

I didn't do the original upgrade to read the history, however... I have completely removed samba and all associated files (tdb's et) from one of the servers and then tried to re-install using fresh Fedora RPM's. The same problem persists..

Are you using the same smb.conf ? or are you re writting a brand new one

I concur; Slackware-10.2 was my first distro (I've learned so much using it), and it's the only distro I use for my own servers (Had to use CentOS at work... it's RHEL, you know...). I'm running a Slackware-12 and BlueWhite64-12 for my PDC and iSCSI SAN, respectively. If you're of the 64 bit persuasion, I'd recommend BlueWhite64 which is a 64 bit port of Slack proper, and I've heard that Slamd64 is pretty good as well. Also, you can get PAM as a tgz package if you'd like to use it for password synchronization... although, it does increase your attack vectors surface area a great deal as compared to Slack with only two or three services running. Lastly, I really like the BSD init over Sys V init for management. Anyways, a bit OT, but I thought I'd second the notion of staying away from Fedora in production.