security = user

add a samba machine account (smbpasswd -a -m machine), the account must first exist in /etc/passwd (or LDAP). useradd -n -d /dev/null -s /dev/null machine\$ if /etc/passwd, if in LDAP use the smbldap-passwd tool.

then add the user to samba, smbpasswd -a user

then in windows xp look at the network properties (ipconfig /all), the WINS server should be the IP address of your samba server. if so, then right click on my computer, properties, computer name, change, add it to the domain, it'll ask for the username and password of root. put that in, if successful it will say Welcome to the DOMAIN. root must exist in smbpasswd (smbpasswd -a root).

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/small.html#id329077
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/appendix.html#domjoin

Parag Kalra wrote:
Hello Adam,

How can a samba user login into Windows Machine and be able to change the password?

Do we need to create the samba user locally on windows machine?

Or do we need to specify "security=domain" or "security=ad" on the Samba Server?

Thanks and Regards,
Parag Kalra