On 2/6/2008, Michael Heydon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
We have something setup here (on a smaller scale) that might be useful. Our main file server rsync's with our backup server every hour (using hardlinks to keep snapshots). Since relatively little data changes between each sync, it is fairly fast (approx 5 minutes with no noticable slowdown for the clients) the backup server can then take as long as it likes to write to tape/etc without affecting the main server.

How well does this work on a live filesystem?

Are collisions handled gracefully? For example, what happens when a file is in the process of being rsynced at the exact moment it is in the process of being written to?

--

Best regards,

Charles