Felipe Martinez Hermo wrote:

OK, so we're apples to apples, so to speak; the servers are tuned the same. I'll assume your disks are tuned from hdparm and up to snuff, otherwise you wouldn't be tuning sockets ;). Did your old server have samba settings for oplocks set?

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.

"Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong"
-Dennis Miller
Erm, sorry, I didn't catch that you had 2 .conf files there. I'm back to the drawing board. Sorry about that. Anyone else have any ideas?
Yes, that's whats shocking me. Apparently we're apples to apples. Except for the kernel (new&slow 2.6.18-4-686 vs old&fast 2.6.8)

I've sniffed both eth0 interfaces and I've got some more information. When talking to the slow server, the client needs to send 76 "TCP segment of a reassembled PDU" that are not sent when talking to the old and fast server.

How can I workaround this issue? Should I lower server's MTU? How much?

Thank you
Do you happen to have a Realtek 8169 based gigabit ethernet in new server?

If you do, I had the same problem several times last year, and solved all of them by changing motherboards (all were integrated, and I like them to stay that way because I can achieve full gigabit speed with several concurent clients)

Best regards,
Sinisa Bandin