hello Dave,
I'm still trying to understand how to check all the traffic with ethereal (now wireshark) as you wrote a few days ago. I had some troubles installing wirshark server side so now i'm doing the tests from a client (XP).
Now, I will also check out your suggestion to use tun0.
If I remember, I chose tap because I'm using server-bridge (same subnet) and not routing for VPN. However, I had the same performance issues when using the router client VPN connecting to the router's (hardware config) VPN.
I will let you know.
Thank you so much for your advices.
gian

Dave Kempe wrote:
gianfranco pra floriani wrote:
dev tap0
proto udp

As you point out, it looks more a SMB (and not samba) problem.

I would seriously suggest you try dev tun0.
make sure the routes work fine, then try again.
I think that you have some sort of networking issue where broadcasts are getting confused. perhaps the machines think they are on the same subnet, but they are not on the same 'wire'

dave