Hi Jerry,
Please see below.

The supplementary groups are determined by mapping the Windows group
to a gid.  I'm having to remember what we already convered so apoligies
fotr asking again.  Are you running winbindd?  or just manually
mapping groups to SIDs ?  Seems to be the former.

Winbind is running, yes.

I see. But it appears to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that
if a local Unix group is mapped with "net sam mapunixgroup", then
it becomes a local nested group and Samba could use
it in "valid users" - but apparently it doesn't, which confuses me.

No.  The nested group functionality is only served by Winbind.

I guess my question now boils down to the following: when I access a share as domain user DOMAIN\lz, is there a way to apply "valid users" check based on the Unix group membership of the Unix user "lz". From what you are saying I am getting the impression that the asnwer is no; is this really so?

Thanks,
  Leonid

cheers, jerry
- --