Actually, it WASN'T root that mounted the share. It was my user account "rickj".

Re: NFS, to the best of my knowledge the drive doesn't support it.

And I TRIED using -o uid=1000,gid=100 (the respective user and group IDs of "rickj") with the smbmount command (AND the mount command) but the ownership still shows as it did below in my example.

Note: On my system "mount" doesn't recognize "-t cifs" and the man page on smbfs says the following.

"Mount options for smbfs
Just like nfs, the smbfs implementation expects a binary argument (a struct smb_mount_data) to the mount system call. This argument is constructed by smbmount(8) and the current version of mount (2.12) does not know anything about smbfs."

Best Regards,

Rick J.

Adam Williams wrote:
root is owing the files because the user root mounted the share. if you want to support unix file ownership in your rsync you should use NFS if the unit supports that. to change the group ownership, pass the -o gid=some_group on your mount -t cifs command. you can also use uid= and to use both, -o uid=someone,gid=somegroup

Rick Johnson wrote:

I have a network accessible (192.168.2.97) Maxtor Shared Storage drive that I want to use to backup the Linux (Slackware) systems on my private LAN. I can "smbmount" the drive okay on my Linux systems, but when I try and use rsync to do a backup rsync fails with a message about failing to change owner.

Digging a little deeper into the problem I find that the directories/files on the share all look something like the following

drwxr-xr-x  1 35000 root       0 2008-02-12 15:21 ArchiveOnLinux
drwxrwxrwx  1 35003 root       0 2008-04-22 01:01 Public
-rwxrw-rw-  1 35000 root 1127239 2008-02-28 11:28 gw_rn_vp_grey.pdf

which ISN'T the user (or group) I would have expected it to be mounted as. (I've done a chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmnt to allow users to mount the share and I expected that the share would have the same owner as the user that mounted it.)

I've also found that I can't change ALL permissions ALL the time on the share's directories and files. I can remove group and world privileges from a file (which are remembered after a umount and remount) but I cannot restore them (even as root). Only the owner privileges are consistently changeable.

Basically, ALL I want to do is to be able to use the drive as a backup that will maintain the same permissions, user, group, etc., as the original files AND I want the files visible from both my Linux AND Windows systems (because I need to use Nero on a Windows machine to do the backups). Can someone help me figure out how to do this correctly?

Thanks,

Rick Johnson