On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Brian H. Nelson wrote:

James Kosin wrote:
Tim,
You still may have to move the libraries to their normal spot or make an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point to the directory where the libraries are kept for samba.

James

On Solaris, one uses the crle command to achieve the same result.

Aside from that, I believe that the general practice for packages that include their own libraries is to hard-code the libpath into any applicable binaries using '-rpath $prefix/lib' in the linking step (or '-R $prefix/lib' with Solaris ld).

If you install samba into its own area (say /usr/local/samba) and the libraries are installed in a non-system location (perhaps /usr/local/samba/lib), messing with the runtime linker config to make samba work should NOT be required.

Exactly!  I had the same problem, I believe with 3.0.31.  I
think I solved it by editing the Makefile (after configuring
samba) to add '-R $prefix/lib' as described above.

On Solaris, the configure step _should_ generate a Makefile
with the -R (or -rpath) option above, but it does not.

--
DE