Oh, and BY THE WAY.

I do not want to be a total cynic, but you are expecting samba to replace a software product that the SuSE corporation directly receives MILLIONS in contributions from, said vendor of product it is replacing. (Microsoft.)

SuSe would be the absolute LAST linux distro I would use for any sort of samba integration.

If I did use it for that purpose, it would be compile from source or I would audit the samba source code first.

Who KNOWS what those millions have provided in those "special extra features" Microsoft would like to see in the SuSe customer distro that right now could be giving you a lot of headaches.

It is only a matter of time before Microsoft starts influencing the packaging decisions for SuSE.

-gc

Gregory Carter wrote:
I am going to go with a bad samba build.

Won't be the first time.

Try different rpm versions from Red.
Update or Backrev

If that still doesn't work, try putting both the client and the server on a unmanaged gigabit switch and try the test again.

-gc

Brian McGrew wrote:
System info:
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
    Kerlen 2.6.18-8.el5 SMP x86_64
    Samba version 3.0.23c-2
    Eth0 && Eht1 bonded to bond0, 2Gbps.

    /etc/samba/smb.conf attached below...

I¹m seeing very slow transfers from Samba....  I¹m not sure how else to
describe it.  If I try and copy a 4GB DVD image from the server to any
Windows box (XP, 2003, 2008, MacOS) it estimates more than 4 hours to copy. However, if I FTP to the server from any given client I can move the whole
file in less than 2 minutes...

I¹m not a Samba expert, so anything is helpful at this point!!!

-brian

[global]
    netbios name = mvppvt125
    realm = MACHINEVISIONPRODUCTS.COM