> If you don't already have a GUI for looking at the LDAP structure, I
> suggest that you install one - then you will easily be able to browse
> through the schema. Luma is the nicest LDAP GUI that I have been able to
> find.
> When I look at the sambaGroupMapping in the schema area in luma, I see
> the 'allowed attributes' -
> description
> displayName
> sambaSIDList
> Maybe you can use one of the first 2 to store your link string.

Never, ever, store any value in any LDAP attribute other than what
is/was intended to be stored their by the schema specification/designer.
Playing fast and loose with schema will eventually blow up in your face.
If you were using an RDBMS would you put the street address in the PO
number field?

> > this is a little bit off-topic, because it is rather LDAP related. I need
> > to store an additional string in every 'posixGroup/sambaGroupMapping'
> > object in the LDAP backend. (This string is used to hold an key to an
> > external database.)
> > For user accounts I can use the 'employeeNumber' attribute which is
> > provided by 'inetOrgPerson'. Any ideas what I could use for group accounts
> > accordingly? Of course it must not interfere with Samba and PAM. The main
> > problem is that 'posixGroup' is an structural class and thus all extra
> > classes must be auxiliary.

Define an auxillary object class and add it to the object.  For instance
we have:

dn: cn=cis,ou=Groups,ou=SAM,o=Morrison Industries,c=US
cn: cis
gidNumber: 230
allowprimary: Y
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: top
objectClass: morrisongroup
objectClass: sambaGroupMapping
objectClass: opengroupwareentity
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-2037442776-3290224752-88127236-1461
sambaGroupType: 2
displayName: IT Staff
opengroupwareid: 11530
memberUid: adam
memberUid: rhopkins
memberUid: cleslie
memberUid: steve

where morrisongroup and opengroupwareentity are "local" schema.   Just
get an OID and design the required schema.

And to head off what is usually the next question: no, there is no such
thing as a local OID,  you *MUST* get a real OID.  Just go to
<http://pen.iana.org/pen/PenApplication.page> and register for one *AT
NO CHARGE*.  Then take a look at
<http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/schema.html#Extending%20Schema>

--
          Consonance: an Open Source .NET OpenGroupware client.
 Contact:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://freshmeat.net/projects/consonance/