But checking our server I find that the processes DO still exist!  So
I'm getting a user session in smbstatus with a specific PID and when I
ps -ef | grep PID there is the smbd process still running, yet the user
has long since logged out (days ago)?!  It's not just that the .tbd file
hasn't been updated, it's that the /usr/local/bin/smbd process is still
running.  A restart of Samba clears them all up immediately, but why are
they hanging around when the client is gone?  Is this just happening to
me on our particular setup or is this normal behavior?
We have ~400 logons per day. Sometimes (average 1 process per day) some processes hangs - the PID exists but user is several hours loged off. In this time other users were loged on this station... But there are some locked files connected with this PID - I think this is because the process isn'n closed. Can you see some locked files connected with the bogus PID in smbstatus output?
Thanks.