Sorry my bad I forgot to reply all.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike Gallamore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: November 7, 2008 12:35:20 PM GMT+01:00
To: "degbert degbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Samba] AD howtos: LDAP needed?

My understanding is AD was/is MS's implementation of LDAP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_directory . AD added stuff on top of the base standard to support "group policies". Essentially MS made an LDAP object structure for Windows networks, that obviously, windows clients know what the objects in the LDAP mean and so display them properly in Network Places or whatever.