Samba will use all the cores you can give it - so long as
you have at least more clients than cores.

Jeremy.
While I have found that to be true in my environment, I have also found that MOST smbd's end up on Core 0 MOST of the time. This is true even if I am hammering a 10 Gigabit network adapter (i.e., sending out 700 MB/sec via Samba distributed to 30 users), with total CPU utilization only about 70 percent of one core.

Maybe this is optimal behavior. I tried to start a thread on this list a while back about understanding what WOULD be optimal, and nobody had much to say.

I think it would be an interesting discussion. NFS seems to make use of multicores in a more even way. That doesn't mean the NFS behavior is better.

Andy