Hi,

We have a server which is going to be a Samba file server and a Postfix server where the users will access their mail over IMAP.

We normally prefer to use Maildir storage as it seems to be recommended over mailbox - for me, for example, I am subscribed to a dozen or so lists and have tens if not hundreds of thousands of emails on the server. The combination of Postfix and Courier-imap has worked perfectly for a couple of years.

So - in /etc/postfix/main.cf we set

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION" DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/ MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

to put the mail under my home directory and to enable procmail to work. (I can then use procmail to sort mail into subdirectories etc).

Now, if I set up Samba as default on Debian it shares out my home directory to Windows clients. If I allow the viewing of hidden files then the .Maildir directory shows up on Windows where it can be explored or even deleted.

In my case it's not a problem because I won't (intentionally) delete that folder - but we're setting up a server for a client with normal users.

So, we want to separate the Maildir from the directory being shared out over Samba.

My question is this:

Is it better to store the mail somewhere else entirely - i.e. /var/mail/users or something or a new home directory (/home/mailstorage) or something? In which case how best to set up permissions? It seems that when the mail is stored it gets the username as the owner:group. This should mean that logging in over imap should allow that user to read/manipulate mail.

Or should I try to share out a different directory via Samba. I.e. Leave the mail in /home/username/.Maildir and get Samba to share out /home/username/samba for example?

Obviously, I can bodge this around with permissions etc but would prefer any links to best practice so that we can implement the best way on all future installs.

BTW - I've (sorry!) cross posted this to the Samba/Postfix list to see what both sides say - hope that's OK.

Regards,

Kevin