Hi folks -

Not fifteen minutes after I sent this message, I've solved the problem. I've been fighting with this for a while now (over a year; I've been delaying Vista deployments because of this). I never would've guessed that taking the RPC out of the net join command would fix it.
But it did.

This is the fix (at least for me):
join the domain with, "net join -U administrator <domain>", not, "net join RPC -U administrator <domain>".

Thanks and sorry for the spam!

Alainna

Alainna C. White wrote:
Hi Folks -

I'm experiencing a very strange problem with Server 2008 machines (for all intents and purposes related to Samba, it's Vista) connecting to a Samba Server. The Samba machine is a RHEL4.6 machine running Samba 3.0.25b. I am joined to the mixed mode AD domain via the command "net rpc join -U administrator <domain>". I am not using winbind or kerberos. Or at least, I am not trying to. The smb.conf file is at the bottom of this email. I've removed things like disallowed users from the file to keep it brief.

I have another samba machine with the very same OS and release, and it works fine. When I try to connect to the Samba machine from the 2k8 machine using the UNC path, I get a "network path not found" message. Oddly, if I use '\\ipaddress' it works just fine.

I used Wireshark to look at the packets, and there is one glaring difference between the working samba install and the non-working samba install: in the Session Setup andX Request packet (under the "security blob") that the client sends to the samba server, the working one lists one mechtype: NTLMSSP. The non-working one lists three mechtypes: MS KRB5, KRB5, NTLMSSP, in that order. The non-working one has a krb5 ticket further down in the packet.

Samba logs show an error:
Failed to parse NTLMSSP packet, could not extract NTLMSSP command
[2009/03/18 10:39:36, 1] libsmb/ntlmssp.c:ntlmssp_update(327)

I don't think it should be able to parse the NTLMSSP packet, since it isn't an NTLMSSP packet. It's a KRB5 ticket. At least, to the best that I can understand

I have tried copying the working SMB.CONF file to the non-working host, and that didn't help at all.

To me it seems like the client is requesting KRB5 authentication. I'm not good enough with network packets to see if the server requested that type of session, but as far as I can tell it did not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Alainna

--------SMB.CONF-----------