Hi,

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:04 AM Jonathan Schulz <jonathan.sch...@hotmail.de>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have recently written a basic backend for my Brother DCP-L2500D
> all-in-one device (connected via USB). I am aware that the manufacturer
> provides a closed-source SANE backend, but I as far as I am aware, there
> are no binaries for arm64 linux. While I have tested my code with only one
> device, the manufacturer's driver suggests that the protocol is similar or
> identical for numerous similar devices.

There is a work-in-progress already for Brother multifunction devices which
I am trying to get back to.
We might be able to compare notes somewhat.

You can see how far we are here, where there is quite a bit of discussion:
https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/751

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a lot of visibility outside of that Merge
Request but I will plan to clean it up and get it merged so that people can
try it out.
It will be Beta-quality code when I do that but a number of people have
reported that they can successfully scan on their devices,

What I would really love would be to get some opinions on decoding the
binary query command responses which presumably contain some interesting
information that the backend could use, such as what sources there are
(ADF/Flatbed) maximum resolutions, etc which I currently have to add to
each device's configuration. I note that Brother's backends don't seem to
require this information in their configurations, although they do have
some basic config files with device names and USB PID/VIDs.

If you would like to give my backend a go, you can build it with some
additions to the config structure in backend/brother_mfp/brother_mfp.cpp
appropriate for your device.

If you do, let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Ralph