Le vendredi 10 mai 2024 à 21:11 +0200, Till Kamppeter a écrit :

> In my design (derived from driverless IPP printing) the applications
> come with
> only the sane-airscan (written by Alexander Pevzner, CCed) backend,
> the backend
> which supports driverless scanning, currently eSCL and WSD, later
> perhaps also
> IPP Scan. [...]
>
> For scanners which need a driver, as they have a non-standard
> communication
> protocol, we introduce emulations of eSCL scanners, the so-called
> Scanner
> Applications. At the front they appear as eSCL (driverless) scanners
> and at the
> back they are talking with the actual scanner device, converting the
> protocols
> internally. Like a physical network device they advertise the
> presence of the
> scanner via DNS-SD (Avahi under Linux) and the eSCL protocol allows
> clients to
> poll the full set of capabilities (resolutions, scan sizes, ADF, ...)
> from the
> Scanner Application and also to conduct the actual scan.

Thank you for this initiative, it sounds like an interesting solution
to the problem I'm trying to solve. Will you post progress news here,
or is there a better channel?

The main upside of your approach is that it uses a standard protocol,
but the main downside for now is that it does not exist yet. So I'm
still curious, has the saned protocol been stable in the past? Are
there hidden downsides to using saned as it exists now?

Guillaume Girol